Traditionally made to use up store cupboard items, milk, eggs and flour before a period of Lent fasting, beginning on Shrove Tuesday. Far too delicious to make just once a year, try serving with fruit and maple syrup, or even bananas and chocolate sauce.
At a glance
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Serves: 12-15 small or 6-8 larger pancakes
- Blend flour and salt together in a bowl. Make a hollow in the centre and add egg.
- Whisk egg into flour and then gradually add milk, until all the flour is worked in and batter is smooth.
- Lightly oil a frying pan and heat until hot. Pour in enough batter to cover the base of the pan. Cook for 1-2 minutes on a medium heat until underside is golden brown. Turn over or flip pancake and cook the other side for a further minute. For smaller pancakes add less batter and cook for slightly less time.
- Place covered in a warm oven whilst making remainder of the pancakes.
- Serve with your favourite toppings; try lemon & sugar, or maple syrup, or blueberries and a dusting of icing sugar.