Traditionally made on Easter Sunday and given as a gift, these lightly spiced, currant studded round biscuits have a delicious flavour and sugary crunch.
At a glance
Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Preheat oven to fan 180°C, conventional 200°C, gas 6.
- Grease two baking trays.
- Sift the flour, salt and spice into a small bowl and set aside.
- Using an electric whisk, cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolk.
- Fold in the flour, salt and spice, currants, milk and saffron if adding, to form a fairly soft dough.
- Knead lightly on a floured surface and roll out thinly.
- Using a 7.5cm fluted round cutter, cut into rounds rerolling where necessary.
- Place onto baking trays and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, brush with remaining egg white, sprinkle over sugar and bake for a further 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack.