A different way of using up those cooking apples during the autumn, creating a moist cake delicious served with Bird’s custard or crème fraîche.
At a glance
Cooking time: 45-50 minutes
Serves: 8 slices
- Preheat oven to fan 160°C, conventional 180°C, gas 4.
- Grease and line the base of a deep 18cm round tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon into a large bowl, add butter, sugar and eggs. Using an electric whisk, beat together until all ingredients are combined.
- Stir in apple pieces.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and level the surface, arrange apple slices on top and sprinkle with demerara sugar and drizzle with melted butter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes until golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove from tin.
- Serve warm with crème fraîche.