Originally from the States, but now a favourite coffee shop cake, the addition of grated carrot creates a moist cake mixture our recipe is cooked in two tins, creating an excellent bake, sandwiched together with a sweet orange mascarpone.
At a glance
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to fan 180°C, conventional 200°C, gas 6. Grease and line 2 × 20cm round sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices together.
- In a large bowl, place the oil, sugar and eggs, beat until thick and creamy.
- Add the flour mix, carrot, nuts, orange zest and juice, coconut and sultanas. Stir together well.
- Place mixture in prepared cake tins.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden and firm to the touch. Cool.
- To make the icing and filling, mix together the mascarpone, orange juice and icing sugar, use half to sandwich the two cakes together. Spread the remainder on top of the cake and decorate with orange zest.